Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Windows 7 on MacBook


Having a MacBook is something I am quite proud about but then I am not ready to give-up the Windows that I have known all my life. I have been using Windows 7 for over a year and what a cool OS I find it to be. Even though the Mac OS X Snow Leopard is cool too. I still want my Windows running on it. What's the use of having an Intel-based processor if I can't run Windows as well. Even Linus if I choose to.

I installed Windows 7 on my BootCamp drive and it was smooth though Apple recommends on Windows XP and Windows Vista. After installation, I installed the bootcamp tools supplied by Apple. All my devices seems to work fine. One by one I checked them and tick them off in my head: Wifi- check, bluetooth -check ....

I decided to look a bit more under the hood. Fired up Device Manager and alas, two errored devices. Apple USB Ethernet and Co-Processor does not seem to have the right drivers. Fumbled around for hours without success to getting them to work. I can't live without an ethernet port even if the co-processor does not seem to matter initially; some computation will have to suffer.

devman.PNG


Come Google to the rescue (thanks for not censoring anymore in China). Found out some other people have encountered this and no clear-cut solution until I came across a post by tnkgrl Mobile. In the post, a link to the driver is provided.

The Windows XP driver provided works like magic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Unknown said...

Something else I noticed. Each time I start my Boot-camp using VM Fussion, I alway have to re-Activate as Windows detect a change in Hardware but this does not happen when you boot directly into BootCamp.

Anonymous said...

Well I to but I about the brief should acquire more info then it has.