Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Things I hate about my Mac

The Mac is a very good machine. I am like the Paul of the Mac machine formerly Saul of PC - prosecuting the Mac System and stoning Mac users (not literarily) if you happen to have read the bible at all or heard from those that have read (like I did).

I find the Mac incomparable with the PC. The Spec of My Mac Book Air is about the Spec of my previously owned PCs I bought 2 years ago but much faster than my last PC with far better Spec. Believe me, you won't be comparing "Apple" to "Apple" comparing the Mac and PC.

I could hear someone whispering "That's cos u were running Windows". Wrong!! I have Windows 7 running on my Mac too and it's Blazing fast.

My conclusion is that I will like to believe this is due to some sluggish defect in the PC design.

Spoken by a recent Mac user ....

However, I hate a few stuffs about my Mac.

1. My MacBook Air has just one USB slot. This is no problem with Mac but on the other hand it is. I could have chosen other model other than the Air you would say, but then I had the option of a USB hub you would also suggest. Wrong! The Mac work's better with powered USB so I could not have my network running and still have my drive on. Solution - Buy a powered USB hub - $35

2. NTFS drives are loaded as readonly. Just wondered why Apply had to make this the default option in Mac. OS X reads NTFS pretty well and should also write if you ask me.
Solution - Include UUID in /etc/fstab file (tiresome and often require restart) or buy a NTFS Manager like Paragon NTFS for mac $40

3. Mac is too pretty. I find it hard to imagine the future of my Mac with faded keyboards and trackpads. Think I need the Wireless keyboard and mouse - mouse I say, I want the Magic Mouse $70+$70 = $140

4. Can't get Mail to work with Exchange Server used in most enterprise. Solution - Buy Mac Entourage bundled with Microsoft Office for Mac. $150

5. Miss Visual Studio So bad. Wish their a version of that the works on the Mac. Mac offers XCode, plus I got Eclipse working (even though they confused on Carbon or Cocoa) and MonoDevelop works great too. Solution is buy CrossOver or Install Windows 7 on your bootcamp and run from VM Fusion with Unity Mode. - average cost - $70 (cross over) + $80 /2 = $75

6. Can't upgrade my MacBook Air RAM beyond 2GB as it has no drive-bays. The RAM is soldered unto the board. I run quite a lot of VMs and 2GB would not be enough. These days my system locks up when I boot up my bootcamp Windows from VM fusion. Solution is buy a Mac Mini and moves task to it. $600

At the end of the day, I have $1040 worth of hatred for my Mac but despite that, I still LOVE IT...

No comments: