Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Intel VT not in HP nc6400

Just think it time to check out the Windows 7 XP mode out and after wasting 445MB of my monthly internet Quota to discover that my HP nc6400 most priced notebook will not run XP mode.

Windows 7 XP mode requires Intel VT for hardware assisted Acceleration to run. I exactly don’t know whom to blame, Intel or Microsoft or HP.

Intel for failing to include such feature but of course they got processors with these feature present. HP for choosing to use a processor in a business/performance based device like the nc6400 and finally Microsoft. How in the world should this not just be a boost requirement. Other virtualization applications like VMware don’t make this compulsory so why should this be. I could expect that this works but some performance pain if Intel VT missing rather than an outright failure.

I hope this gets fixed in the final release.

2 comments:

Gregory Read said...

You have to enable virtualization in the BIOS.

Scroll to System Configuration using the arrow keys.

Select Virtualization Technology and depress the Enter key.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx

Unknown said...

I was wrong afterall. HP nc6400 being a great developer system does have Intel Virtualization Tech.

Thanks Gregeory. You save me not having to make a hasty decision to upgrade.